Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Wedding Wands...a crafty little "Do It Yourself"

As my wedding approaches, I find myself trying to figure out what more I can do to make it special. Thankfully, since I'm in school, my mother is a very crafty person....and loving, because more often than not my crazy idea that I found in X magizine or Y blog... she makes a reality. Not so say that I dont assist with these endavors, but I probably would not have half as many personal touches for my wedding as I do without my wonderful mother

Soo... Just to name a few things that my mother and I have made:

1) My ring bearer's pillow
2) Both of my garters...so they would match the wedding colors
3) wooden signs for the reception
4) Test tube wedding favors... I am in medical school! (and my fiance' is going to dental school)
5) Embroidered Can Koozies with cheezy wedding sayings...( my mom owns her own shop...so that's really convient)
6) Embroidered totes for the girls
7) A wedding quilt guest book... each guest is going to sign a square of fabric with a permanent fabric pen, then we are going to make a quilt out of it
8) Personalized Candles (See to right)

So...after all this crazyness.. last week I found this AMAZING idea in a blog...

Imagine a bride exiting for that amazing photo op, running to your getaway car/horse and buggy/ golf cart... what do you imagine.. rice? sparklers? bubbles? Well after reading RibbonWands celebration streamer wand tutorial...that is all I could picture.. Now, I am having a large wedding (200+) and couldn't afford ribbon wands for everyone even if I made them. So my thought was to have 20-30 ribbon wands (i.e. the wedding party) and everyone else bubbles... A nice mix, and a change from the everyday expected...at least in South Carolina.

So I emailed my mother.

It just happens that I went home the following weekend. We had a bunch of wedding errands to run, and things to check off the to-do list. Well, MaMa sugested we try to make these wands, she had already read the blog and thought that it explained how to make the wands really well, and she was sure we could do it. So we bought wooden dowels, cut them in half (18 inches long), and bought loads of beautiful ribbon....and the outcome......

24 GORGEOUS ribbon wands!!!
Now, what we did different than the Ribbon Wand blog was to choose ribbon with writing on it for the actual wand. These ribbons say anything from "2011", or "Mr. and Mrs.", to "With this ring". and even a plain "F" (the New last initial!). These cute ribbons are all from the craft store Hobby Lobby, in the scrap booking department. We also put more ribbon on each wand than the blog called for, and that was no easy task either...the eyehooks didn't want to close around the abundance of ribbon. But in the end they turned out beautiful!! I cannot wait to make a grand departure (from the church to the reception of course..) surrounded by my lovely ribbon wands (and bubbles)!!


Here's to the next crafty idea I can find!!
Suggestions welcome!
<3 A

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea, they look absolutely dreamy. I love weddings! And it sounds like lots of love and thought is going into yours. I look forward to seeing what you've got planned next x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely idea for a wedding. I confess I wasn't sure what you meant by 'ribbon wand', but I like a lot! Very pretty and so festive. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how do you fit in med school and planning a wedding? Amazing. And test tube wedding favours are VERY original!
    Visiting from The Fibro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing I loved in ur ideas was getting a quilt guest book..its such a beautiful memorabilia from a wedding..Imagine taking it over when u sleep with the best wishes of evryone in your dreams:)
    http://aakritimalik.blogspot.com/2011/04/yesterdayi-fell-in-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a gorgeous idea. I love that you made so much stuff for your wedding!

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...